Thursday, May 26, 2011

Not bad at all

So, I grab the bottle from my wine rack.  Eager to try this wine with the dumb name.  I'm somewhat doubtful as I watch my husband "unscrew" the lid off.  I must say,  screw offs remind me of college days with TJ Swan and Mad Dog 20/20 - but times have changed and rumor has it, there are many respectable wines that do not have a cork.
I must say......this is one of them.  The first sip was actually a pleasant surprise.  It hits with a bit of a peppery "bang" on the palate, but then softens very quickly.  I made a spicy turkey spaghetti sauce (with thin wheat spaghetti), and the wine was nicely complemented.  I'm an Arizona girl, so I add green chile to almost everything including spaghetti sauce. It sounds weird, but my family and I love it.  I would venture a guess, it doesn't matter what type of "spice" you prefer, this wine would go well with it.
I did forget to mention I tried the first sip with a bit of the goat gouda cheese.  My daughter - being the astute 21 year old wine drinker that she is, reminded that I should try the wine beforeI eat anything so that my palate is not biased.  It's a wonderful thing when you're children give you good advice.  So moving forward, I will make sure that the first sip is unadulterated with any type of food.
Anyway, we did use an aerator.  It's a great only actually.  I bought it at Safeway for $20.  It fits on the top of the bottle, and works very well.  I'm sitting here drinking the wine as I blog and I must say that leaving the bottle open for an hour made a difference as well.  It's still has the initial peppery taste, but it's not strong and doesn't overwhelm.
So, the wine with the dumb name is a keeper.  I would buy it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment