Tuesday, May 24, 2011

This is it!! Tres Ojos!!

This is the choice for week 1.  I found it at Whole Foods.   It costs $7.99 and is a Spanish red wine. On the label it reads "unfiltered".  It sounds so primitive! I love it.   If you can't read the label, it says below the bridge "Old Vines Garnacha 2008 Calatayud  Demominacion de Origen.  I had no idea what that means.  I googled it.  It's describing the kind of grape, which is garnacha.  This grape doesn't have the greatest reputation among grapes.  Evidently it's high in tannins (here comes a headache) and is better when mixed with other types of grapes - which in this case, it is not.  The rest of the info is just the region where it came from in Spain.
The reason it caught my eye is because my husband and I went to a wonderful wine bistro in Ashburn this past weekend.  I noticed among the many bottles at the bar was one entitled "Tres Ojos".  I asked my husband, who is a fluent spanish speaker. "Doesn't that mean three eyes?" He confirmed that in fact was the meaning and I thought to myself - What a dumb name... But today, as I was meandering through the isles of Whole Foods I noticed this particular bottle and I uttered out loud "Thats the bottle with the dumb name!!  I actually felt silly, because I didn't intend to verbalize.  I looked around to see if anyone noticed and luckily for me there was only one women near me.  She appeared unfazed and I don't think she even spoke english.  Regardless,  I have a bottle and I am ready for Thursday.  I'm mildly concerned because it appears I have an unfiltered wine (chunky??) made from grapes with a bad reputation.  Bahahaha!!  What a great way to start!  But I remain optimistic, and I also bought some phenomenal gouda cheese while at the store.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment