Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Berberana Cava....MARAVILLOSO!!

That means marvelous, wonderful, etc...

This is a nice, easy drinking sparkling wine. I enjoyed it from the moment it touched my tongue.

It's light, smooth, and citrusy, with a touch of berry.

This particular cava, as the Spanish call sparkling wine, is made in the traditional method, which evidently is quite stringent. It includes a secondary fermentation process that occurs in the bottle as well as additional aging in the cellar.

You'll notice from last night's picture that this cava is a Rose Brut. So, yes it's a pretty pink and kind of girly looking....BUT, don't let that put off any alpha males, because it's just a nice, light, easy drinking wine.

The Rose just refers to the color. It's my understanding that a Rose is not a mixture of white and red wine as many might think, but is actually the time the wine stays in contact with the grape skins that gives it this pretty pink color.

And (again speaking to the alpha males), it's a Brut - so it's not sweet.

This particular cava is created at a property called Sant Sadurni D'Anoia in Penedes, which is a well-known wine producing region in Spain.

The types of grapes used in this lovely bottle are: 40% Macabeo, 30% Parellada, and 30% Xarello. I don't know that I have ever heard of those grapes, but I know that I love them in this combination.

This would be a perfect bottle for Valentine's Day. Even though the day has passed, remember it for next year.

If and when you're looking a fun, easy, sparkling wine - this is your bottle!!

Next week I will blog on a Greek wine called "Hermes". I have a tattoo with the same name. Intrigued??? Good....

Until then..Cheers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment