Tuesday, April 17, 2012

3 amazing wines....




So, I found myself in the company of 3 extraordinary men. One, I've been close to my whole life, another a rather bashful sort and the third a charming Texas native. Why extraordinary? Well they are sort of like the wines we enjoyed together....deep, textured, maybe a little misunderstood, and wonderful when you take the time to drink.

The first, a Black Cordon. Inky color, smoky, velvet taste, a beautiful smooth finish that kisses your tongue. This 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet retails for about $90.00. It is a beautiful Cabernet with 90 some-odd points from Wine Spectator. When I first smelled the bouquet, I thought to myself, I wish I had a perfume that smelled like this. We enjoyed it before dinner.

The next was an outstanding 2008 Pinot Noir. This is another California wine that will make your taste buds sing!! It's not Napa Valley, but rather a viticultural area that straddles Napa and Sonoma Valley. It retails for about $35.00. It's hard to beat this Pinot. It's exceptionally flavorful. Sometimes, a Pinot Noir can taste like a watered down Cab, but not this one. The flavor is immense, with berry, tannins and spice but still gentle on the palate.

Finally....the Shea. I know I liked it, but I barely remember it. It's from Willamet Valley in Oregon. It retails for about $52.00.
This is another outstanding Pinot Noir. Easy to drink, gentle flavor that could make a die-hard Cabernet fan cross over. Not sure of the significance of block 5, even though I have a vague recollection of hearing something about it....I tried to look it up and it appears to be a south facing section of the vineyard - but somehow that doesn't seem special enough.

At any rate, I would absolutely, positively buy each and every one of these wines again. They were each exceptional, extraordinary wines that contributed to an absolutely wonderful evening.

As a side note, the meal for the evening was an outstanding pot roast. Even though my Texas charmer worried that it wasn't quite tender enough - it was excellent. Served in a bowl with veggies - it was homey and tasty.
And get this - dessert was a homemade chocolate pecan pie with just a touch of cayenne pepper....OMG!! I ate until I couldn't eat any more. I think I actually waddled to the cab that took me home.

Wow...what an evening.

So, for next week.....Whatever...It will pale in comparison to this week. But until then...Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment