Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Keeling Schaefer


I know the picture is a bit dark, but I hope you can see what an absolutely totally cool label is on this bottle of wine. I want to find a way to remove the label and frame it.

According to the lovely lady who poured the tasting I so enjoyed, the owners/winemakers have this piece of art in their home and loved it so much, they put it on the wine label. I can see why.

My brother and I stopped in Willcox, Arizona, which is evidently the up and coming wine mecca of Arizona. He has tried the wine before and absolutely loved it, so we stopped for a tasting.

It's a 2007 Home Place Reserve Syrah. It retails for $38. I thought that a tad bit pricey, but the flavor is quite nice.

The tasting notes boast that the wine has been aged three and half years in French oak. It's rich, complex, fruit forward, loaded with berry, sage and deep fig notes.

Normally, I think wine labels are a somewhat of a stretch in terms of describing the wine, but I think this time I would agree. If I were a wine snob I guess I would focus on the complexity and structure of the wine as it seems to have so much happening from the moment it hits the tongue and continues for a time after the swallow. The finish lingers in a pleasant way that makes you want to take another sip.

So, not only is the label totally cool, the wine verges on exceptional. My only slightly negative complaint is that I think it's a bit overpriced.

Would I buy it again?? Yeah…I would!

What will next week bring? I wish I knew.

Until then....Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment