Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Desperate times call for desperate measures.


So, it's a Tuesday evening and I'm 15 minutes into my 45 minute commute home after a 10 hour day at work when it suddenly occurs to me that it is in fact Tuesday and it's blog night.

I don't have the energy or the desire to stop at Total Wine or any of the dozens of grocery stores that I have no doubt passed on my way home.

So......what to do...well, I rummaged through my wine cabinet (no, I don't have a wine rack here in my Phoenix abode), and all I have is a Hob Nob Pinot Noir, which I am 90% sure I have blogged on before. And, a bottle of Keeling Schaeffer, which I blogged on last week. I also have a case of Elyse in my closet, which I have definitely blogged on before.

Luckily, tucked behind the Hob Nob, I found a bottle of The Big Kahuna. I bought it for less than $6.00 at Fresh and Easy weeks ago.

So, I unscrewed the cap and poured myself a glass. At this point in the evening nothing could be too bad. I have to admit I enjoyed the bouquet, which was sort of grapey and sweet smelling. I was a little worried it would be sweet. But, it surprised me a bit. It's a bit light for a cab, slightly spicy finish with lots of berry notes, short finish and mild tannins. It was not bad at all.

As you can see by the picture, there is a surf board on the front label, so I assumed it's a California wine. Wrong!!! It's from Spain. I'm not sure where exactly as very little info is given.

The back label describes some guy from 1914 named Duke Kahanamoku who was evidently the father of surfing - so much so that anyone that anyone who achieves any level of expertise can be called "The Big Kahuna". What that has to do with wine, I have no idea and neither do the winemakers as that all the info on the back label.

Would I buy it again? Yes, I would. Mostly because it's such a cheap, but decent tasting wine.
So, for next week. No clue. Until then....Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment