Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hey Mambo!!


While at Safeway, I found this California red wine. It was normally priced at $12.99, and on sale for $8.99.

The label caught my eye because of the unusual name "Hey Mambo", but also underneath that is reads; Bistro Style Wine.
What's a bistro style wine anyway?
It also reads: Sultry Red. I liked the sound of that, so I bought it.

The back label is quite wordy. It reads like a drug store novel about a venture into a back alley Italian restaurant. I wasn't expecting that....What, no pairing recommendations?? No eloquent tasting notes that describe what my tender palate should expect?? I love it!! This is so unique.

Then.....I tasted it. It's surprisingly nice. It's very dark and inky so I was expecting a big FLAVOR to hit my tongue. But, it was actually smooth and light and woodsy and peppery, but in a gentle way. I loved it!!

I served it with a turkey wrap - this was all I had in my fridge, so I made the best of it. It was quite a wrap considering it was all leftovers. Lean turkey, broccoli coleslaw (try it - it's awesome) fresh spinach and cucumbers topped with light champagne salad dressing.

I realize this is not a food blog, I describe in detail to explain what it did to the wine. The champagne dressing made it taste tart and the jalapeno tortilla was too much for the wine. It made it peppery and a bit harsh. So, upon noticing that, I immediately scarfed the wrap, slugged some water and went back to enjoying this lovely wine.

As an interesting side note, the wine is produced by The Other Guys. I looked them up online and found a really cool website. They proclaim themselves as "laid back guys, stand out wines". Well, I think they're right. I would absolutely buy this wine again.

So, next week has big shoes to fill. I'm home in Virginia next week. Maybe my long lost hubby and I will hit a winery we haven't tried before. If not, I will blog on a Reisling my daughter recommended.

Oh by the way, I Googled "bistro wine" and couldn't find anything that satisfied my need of a definition. So, the Debbie definition is....it's just a fun wine.

Until next Tuesday...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment