Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Thing Wine Dinner at Flemings

If you've never been to a Flemings wine dinner, I would like to suggest that you go. They are typically wonderful three to four course meals paired with exceptional wines.

They are a bit pricey at $85 per person, but you get more food and wine than you can possibly eat or drink.

We've only been a handful of times and have always enjoyed it thoroughly. This time was slightly different in that the entree was not quite as fabulous as it had been historically.

The appetizers were fresh vegetable bruschetta and north Atlantic lobster salad in phylo cups with a 2010 Riff Pinot Grigio della from Venezie Italy. It was a nice light Pinot with lots of citrus and pear notes and was excellent with the lobster salad. Yes, I had several glasses.

The first course was a mixed green salad with beets, wontons, cucumbers, red onion and grape tomato with a olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was served with a 2010 Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley and was outstanding. It was lovely on the palate, smooth... almost delicate. I think the acidic balsamic complimented it somehow because it was a perfect match. Yes, I had several glasses.

The entree is where things were quite so wonderful. I had the Mahi-Mahi with a red wine butter sauce. This was served with a 2009 Napa Valley Merryvale Chardonnay. This wine was quite nice as well. It wasn't too oaky, but still had a nice flavor. Unfortunately, the fish was overcooked and bland. The red wine butter sauce did nothing.

My hubby opted for the filet mignon instead. But even that wasn't great. It was not seasoned well and was somewhat bland. But, it was served with a lovely cab-syrah. My hubby and I are sitting here trying to remember the name of it, and neither of us can. It was one I've heard of (and probably tried) before, but the name escapes me.

Finally, the meal was beautifully ended with a blueberry cream brulee. Cream brulee is my all time favorite dessert. I was thrilled to finish the evening this way and it was nicely complemented with a Mionetto Prosecco. Yes, I had a few glasses.

So, you can see how there is no shortage of food or wine at one of these events. Even though the entree wasn't as good as it normally is, we still had an exceptional evening. Great wine, some great food and great company.

Tune in Tuesday for the next adventure. At this point, I have no idea what, but I'm sure some label will reach out a grab me.

Until then....Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment