Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bring on the South African!!!


I cannot believe this is week 7.  When I started this journey, I knew it was going to be fun, but I didn't realize how much I would learn about wine and the many things associated with wine.  Stone fruit anyone??
So here we are at week 7,  and I am not exactly complying with the original plan of only blogging on wines I've never tried.  I did in fact try this particular wine entitled Sebeka quite some time ago, but I thought it was a Malbec, therefore it doesn't count.  Obviously, I was mistaken as this is a Cabernet Pinotage.
This particular bottle was priced at $8.99 at Wegmans.  I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may have been on sale.
The label boasts of the dark fresh blackberries of the Cabernet being intensified by the intense red berry notes and complex structure of the Pinotage.  We shall see.  I'm still concerned about notes of elephant dung, but I do have an open mind and  look forward to trying it "again".
As I vaguely recall, the cork is colored like a cheetah.  If that is the case, I will include a picture of it in the next blog.
I have to take a moment to comment on where I left off at the last blog, which indicated we were going to "Wicked" and I was confident I would try some type of wine at dinner.  Well, let me just say...."Wicked" was PHENOMENAL!!!  I would see it again and again and again. In a word, it was OUTSTANDING.  The acting was fantastic, the singing was amazing, the stage settings were fabulous.
As I previously noted, we had dinner at the Roof Terrace before the show.  We had a lovely meal complimented by a bottle of 2007 Paso Creek Merlot.  It was smooth, light and airy, very flavorful, and gentle on the palate.  I absolutely loved it as did my hubby.  This was a unique occasion as he does not typically like Merlot.  I didn't really know I did either.  The bottle was $50.00 at the restaurant.  We also purchased this at Wegmans for $14.99.
Tonight was a nice wine evening as well.  I had a dear friend over for dinner.  She brought with her a RELAX Riesling.  It was smooth and softly sweet - very easy to drink.
I once bought a bottle of RELAX red wine for a friend quite some time ago - mostly due to the totally cool bottle.  It was a very pretty red color, with RELAX in huge letters across the bottle.  She loved it and gave me a splash - the bottle was pretty much empty by the time I got there - and it was pleasantly, but not overwhelmingly sweet.  I can't remember what I spent, nor do I know what my friend spent on tonights bottle, but I've decided RELAX is a nice addition to any wine rack.
I'm sad to admit that I have to go back to work on Monday the 11th.  The last 5 weeks have been like a vacation.  I've gone out to lunch and had more glasses of wine than I can count.  I've been to more happy hours than I have in my entire life.  It's been beautiful.  It's been like a prolonged vacation.  I honestly don't know how I ever got anything done before, because I struggle to accomplish things now and I have the entire day.
The party is almost over....but at least I have until Monday.
In the spirit of prolonged vacations, I think I will make something mexican to go with the Sebeka tomorrow.  Mexican food sounds very festive. We'll sit out on our deck and pretend we are at the Cabo Wabo Cantina.
Life is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment