Saturday, July 2, 2011

Moderation???

I recently noted something about it being time to moderate. Well, about that.....It's highly overrated and doesn't suit me personally.
Now that I've put it down in words, the truth is, the moderation is ok, in fact it's the reason my liver still functions and therefore a beautiful thing.  It's the wine celibacy thing isn't happening - nor will it I suppose.
There just doesn't seem to be time to not drink wine (did you like all those double negatives?).  For example:  Sunday and Monday were fine.  Nothing of any consequence - no visiting, no get togethers, no wine, rather boring, but nice.  But, then Tuesday rolled around and whatever it was we had for dinner, we decided it would be perfectly complimented with a glass of red wine.  Which is was.  This particular red was from St Helena California, called Predator.  It's a Zinfandel.  The winery is eco-friendly and employes the use of ladybugs as a natural predator to the other critters that are harmful to the grapes.  It came with our Rutherford Ranch shipment so, I have no idea of the cost.  But it's a big red with lots of flavor, somewhat peppery and a lingering finish.
Moving on to Wednesday.  We met a friend in the city.  One we hadn't seen in a while, so of course we had a few drinks. I had a lovely sauvignon blanc.  Actually I had 4.  But, THROUGH OUT the 5 hour evening (we got there at 6 and left at 11) - not all at once.  I wrote down a few notes about the wine but nothing worth mentioning.
Thursday came, as Thursdays always do and that was met with the Gnarly.
Friday stumbles in and we had friends over for dinner.  And of course, one of them brought me a bottle of a beautiful California red wine called Cashmere.  A 2010 blend of mourvedre, syrah and grenache.  It was absolutely wonderful and was perfect with big, fat, juicy T-bones steaks off the grill.
Now here I sit on a holiday weekend knowing full well there will be much more to come.  In fact, in a few minutes I am going to go get ready to go to the city for a what I hope to be a wonderful meal at the Roof Terrace Restaurant followed by "Wicked" at the Kennedy Center.  I have no idea what the menu will be at the restaurant, but am confident I will have a glass of wine with it.
Tomorrow is a 4th of July barbecue at friends house, followed by a Monday afternoon barbecue at my house.  And Tuesday?  Well, I'm not sure, but it's looking go so far!!  

1 comment:

  1. Maverick!!
    I feel that it is my responsibility to point out these movie quotes.

    ReplyDelete