Thursday, July 7, 2011

Not bad...but not with tacos.

Note to self...never serve spicy Mexican food with Sebeka.  It does not pair well at all.
I opened the bottle and had a brief sip before starting my meal.  I liked the first sip.  I thought it quite descent actually with no notes of elephant dung to burden my palate.
So, I fluttered about setting the table and getting everything ready.  I sat down and eagerly took several bites of my taco and then took a big swig of the wine and unfortunately, things didn't turn out so well.  I made turkey tacos with spicy pico de gallo.  The spicyness totally jacked up the wine.  It made it rough and peppery.
I quickly deduced my culinary error and set the wine to the side until I finished my tacos - which were excellent by the way.  Then, I decided to try the Sebeka again.  I only ate 2 tacos, so I still had room for more food.  Luckily for me, my daughter had prepared herself a beautiful medley of grilled zucchini, summer squash and purple onion, topped with balsamic and goat cheese.  I had a bit of that with with Sebeka and MY OH MY did that change things!  It was wonderful!  I now had a rather smokey, easy, pleasant wine with a nice lingering finish.  I think it was the goat cheese. I'm all about goat cheese.  Maybe that's the key to a good wine...find the right cheese.
I shouldn't admit this, but oh well.  I blogged before that I had tried the wine with my brother, but thought it was a Malbec.  I was thinking today that I may have bought Sebeka a long time ago, but wasn't sure.  But again, even if I did, I thought I was buying a Malbec.   In my "Wine Room", I have a huge bowl filled with corks.  It's literally 10 years worth of corks.  I went searching through it and sure enough - I found the very distinctive cheetah cork.  You know, for $8.99 - you can't beat it.  And, it really is a pretty cool looking cork.
So, all along, I actually had a South African wine on at least 2 occasions that was really quite nice and didn't even know it........wow, life is full of fun little surprises.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment