Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shiraz versus Syrah..

Ok, so whats the deal with Shiraz and Syrah.  Is it a "pot-ta-to"  "pot-ta-ta" kind of thing or are there real differences?  I couldn't help but wonder...
Well, evidently there are some real differences, other than the fact that they are different types of grapes.  Shiraz and Syrah also imply a style of wine making as well - Syrah that of France and Shiraz Australian.
It's also notable to say that Syrah tends to be lighter and more acidic while the Shiraz is a more full bodied wine.
I had a bit of a problem today and couldn't find a Syrah at Traders Joe's with a price tag comparable to the Shiraz that my hubby bought.  I found several for $5.99 and I'm sure they were wonderful, but I wanted the prices to be a bit closer.  And what a problem to have - all I could find were awesome wines and awesome prices.  Gotta love that Trader Joe's.
So, in a fit of brilliance, I bought a Petite Syrah, thinking there couldn't be that much of a difference between a Syrah and a Petite Syrah.  Well, there really isn't.  The history of the Petite Syrah is a little blurry, but it appears to be closely related to the Syrah.
That being said.  Here we go.  I have 2 glasses in front of me. Give me a moment.......
The Petite Syrah is light, mildly oaky, gentle finish.  It's a nice, easy drinking wine.  The vintage is 2007 and it is a Napa Valley wine.  It's 13.9% alcohol.  The label doesn't indicate anything in terms of description, tasting notes or pairings.
The Sharaz is a 2006 Australian and is 14.5% alcohol.  The label describes hints of pepper with a lovely, long velvety finish.  Let me see...(I just took a sip) The bouquet is nothing like the taste.  Actually, I didn't really care for the smell, but the taste was nice.  Definitely peppery, smooth finish. Strong flavor, maybe some notes of tobacco.  My husband chose to abandon me instead of helping me blog tonight, but he would love this wine.  It has a big flavor he would enjoy.
Both of these wines are nice stand alone wines or of course would go wonderfully with probably just about anything you served them with.
These are the types of wines that make great gifts to bring when going to someone's home for supper.
Normally, I would sit up and polish off at least one nice glass.  But tonight I gotta admit - I'm tired.  This whole going back to work thing takes a lot of energy and mine is just about run out.
On that happy note - G'nite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment