Thursday, June 30, 2011

Totally Gnarly



So again my plans are waylaid.  I planned on serving my Gnarly Pinot Grigio with talapia - well, we ended going out to sushi with some friends.  I was absolutely determined to have the Gnarly with dinner.
So, I emptied a water bottle and filled it half full with the Gnarly. I thought this to be very clever.
I was famished by the time the sushi came to the table, and in a fit of hunger ate several bites, before taking a sip of the wine.  The first sip wasn't my favorite.  It seemed relatively smooth, but rather dry.  As I continued to sip and enjoy my meal, the wine continued to improve as well.  I shared it with some of my dinner companions and they agreed it was a nice, smooth, dry wine.
I noted earlier that I was a little concerned about "stone fruit" flooding my palate.  Well, I found what that is and evidently I was one of the few people on this earth who didn't know that it referring to fruit that has a pit.  I think thats a dumb name, but no one asked me.  I didn't feel fruit flooding my palate, it was more of a slow trickle.
As you may know, this bottle came from my Boston Qualifier - who so kindly donated it for me to blog about.  In the spirit of reciprocity, I'm sending him a little something as well.  I found a fun,  Australian 2008 Shiraz called Jim Jim.  I hope he likes it.
Moving on to South Africa.  My brother informed me that I had in fact tried one that I liked called Sebeka.  I remember drinking it, because it has a cheetah on the label and a cheetah cork as well (I think).  I remember liking it, but I could have sworn he told me it was an Argentinian Malbec and I didn't bother to read the label.
I also went through my wine rack and found a 2009 South African red wine called Goats Do Roam.  I have no idea where it came from.  I know I didn't buy it.  Often, friends will come over and bring a bottle or two because they all know what a wino I am.  So, Im guessing someone brought it over.
Next week, I will try one or hopefully both if I can find the Sebeka.  Ever the optimist,  I have no doubt I will find one that I like, if not next week, then certainly at some point before this blog project ends.
As always, Im looking forward to it.  I have truly come to appreciate that are so many wines, and so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment