Thursday, June 23, 2011

Evolution

Much wine has been consumed over the course of the last week as there has been much to celebrate.  I've mentioned previously that my husband just retired and we've had a lot of family here to celebrate with us for his several retirement parties.
So, during this time of celebration - several glasses - actually several bottles of wine have been consumed.  This is where the evolution began.  While sitting with my 2 sister in laws and my daughter at Matchbox restaurant in DC and sipping a lovely white wine (btw-FABULOUS restaurant) - the thought occurred to me that I need to start blogging about the wines I have while at restaurants.  I've found that I truly enjoy trying different wines while dining out - but inevitably, I forget the details of the wine.  Case in point, I had some type of Austrailian white wine.  It was a blend of some type - but I can't remember the specifics except that it was an ok wine, but nothing spectacular.   I told my lunch buddies my idea about blogging on the wines and everyone thought it was a great idea.
The next day, while shopping, my thoughtful daughter bought me a beautiful journal which fits perfectly into my purse so I can take wine notes.  What a thoughtful child I have raised.  Later that day, we had lunch at Applebees.  I had a Barefoot Chardonnay.  Guess what?  It was really nice.  It was $4.99 per glass.  It was served very cold - probably colder then recommended for whites - but I was very plesantly surprised by it's gentle flavor and will buy a bottle for my wine rack on my next visit to pretty much any store.  I've seen Barefoot wines hundreds of times, at Walmart, Safeway, Giant, etc.  but never tried it.  My bad.  It's a nice, low cost bottle.
I want to touch base on some of the fun wines we had this weekend.  Again, while celebrating retirement life, a dear friend brought over 2 very cool bottles from Traders Joe's.  Both were less than $10.00. Both were very flavorful and easy to drink.  The House Wine is a blend of Cab Sav, Merlot, Syrah, Malbec, Zinfandel, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot.  It's from Washington state and is quite impressive.
The other is about the coolest bottle I've ever seen.  As you can see, it has a happy face.  Nothing else on the front - on the back the label reads Project Happiness Syrah California.   Both were fun wines and perfect for our celebratory mood.  Truth be told, we drank them like water.
So, next week will be my Boston Qualifiers "Gnarly" Pinot Grigio.  Can't wait for that - and will be serving it up with some talapia.  I have high expectations.  I'm still wondering about the whole stone fruit thing - haven't googled that yet, but will have some fun facts about that next week.
I will also be blogging on some phenomenal wines I had tonight at an outstanding place called Evo Bistro.  I have lots to say about it but want to collect my thoughts a bit before I do.
This whole wine blogging thing has been (thus far) so much fun in that I have tried wines I wouldn't have given a moments thought to before.  But I'm finding time gets away from me.  Here it is already Thursday and I didn't even blog a prelude.
I've been off work for 2 weeks now and I'm having a difficulty finding the time to blog about wine?? Wow, what a wonderful problem to have.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment