Monday, June 27, 2011

Too much wine... Is there such a thing?

As I've noted, Thursday will be the day to be Gnarly.  I'll post a picture tomorrow or Wednesday.
But for today, I wanted to blog about Evo Bistro and all the wine we've drank recently.  It's a lovely wine bar in McLean.  My husband took me there as a tag along to a business meeting and I was impressed.  The atmosphere is nice, the staff is very attentive and friendly.  We had a few appetizers and it was very good.  It also offers the wine card, which is like a debit card where one can go to a dispensing machine, select a wine and get a taste or a full glass (or something in between).
While there, I had 2 very nice wines.  The first was a spanish red, Martin Cendoya 2007 Rioja Reserva. $14/glass $63/bottle.  Very nice initial boquet, as it breathed I could smell a mineral scent and it was mildly tart.  I liked it and will try to find it a Total Wine.  My husband didn't like it - but the reason he didn't was because of his wine, not mine.  His was a Blackburn 2008 Cabernet for $10/glass $40/bottle, and it was exceptional.  Big and bold and smooth with lots of flavor, and nothing harsh or sharp.  Once you've sipped something like that, anything else is almost a slap on the tongue.
After that, our attentive server offered us something that had just come in.  She wasn't even sure if the owner would sell it to us.  She probably just said that to make me want it more, which worked because I did.  I wasn't leaving until I got to try it.  It was some type of French wine.   Of course my hubby wouldn't try it, he boycotted the French years ago.  Anyway, it also was $10/glass $40/bottle.  I really liked it.  It wasn't sweet, but reminded me of candy.  Mild citrus.  BUT I DIDN'T GET ANY MORE INFO ON THE WINE!
I get a bit distracted now and again.  Some would say I'm ADD -  maybe so, maybe not.  But in the course of enjoying the wine and the nice company, then realizing we needed to go because we were meeting some friends for dinner, we just happily walked out of the Bistro and I didn't think about it again until I went to bed that night.  Ugh!!
Moving on.  The next day, we had some pretty nice wines at the Boxwood Winery Tasting Room at Reston Town Center.   We tried several and the best one for me was the Boedecker Pinot Noir 2008 from Willamette Valley in Oregon.  It was smooth and light and I think it was $40/bottle.
There was also one that was actually really crummy.  We didn't even finish the glass.  It was called Chocolate Block ($13.75/glass $53.00 bottle) and it was South African.  It tasted like....a zoo.  Is there anyone that knows of a nice South African red that doesn't carry notes of elephant dung??  I noted my limited South African wine experience in a previous blog, and continue to hope that somewhere, somehow I will find a drinkable one.
So, needless to say after all this carrying on and celebrating, I've been wine-celebate for the last several days.  I'm saving myself for Thursday.  Actually, we've been drinking like sailors lately and I think I need to give my liver a break.
Someone wise once said, "All things in moderation".  Yes, It's time to moderate.

No comments:

Post a Comment