Thursday, November 10, 2011

About that Burgundy...

So on my way home from work I stopped at Total Wine and purchased a bottle of Bourgogne Hautes Cotes De Beaune 2008 for $19.99 plus tax.

I made it home and opened the bottle anticipating the "seductive gracefulness" I read about.

I have to note that most of the Burgundy wines were quite pricey with an average price of more than $30.00. I'm thinking maybe I should've spent more. As I recall the cheapest bottle was $8.99 and the more expensive was close to $100.00.

Lets break down the verbage first. Bourgogne is French for Burgundy. The Hautes Cotes... is a subregion of the Burgundy wine region. So yes, it's just location.

Here's the wine notes I looked up online...

"The 2008 Hautes CĂ´tes de Beaune is youthful and enticing on the nose, with beautifully soft red cherry and strawberry notes along with a hint of pepper and some earthy tones. The palate is dry with balanced acidity and soft, low tannins. Medium body and soft yet focused fruit with pure red berries in abundance and a soft, vanilla edge."

It also suggested pairing with chicken or meaty fish dishes. Well, we are actually going by that this evening and serving it with salmon. I don't know that salmon exactly qualifies as a meaty fish, but it's the closest thing I have.

I'm trying to reserve final judgement for when I have this wine with my meal because on first taste. I was hoping for more.

I knew it was going to be light, because as I poured the wine, it's visibly clear. It's lighter than most of the Pinot Noirs' I typically drink. This wine is made primarily from the Pinot Noir grape - which is what the Burgundy region is known for. I took the first sip before any food touched my tongue. It hit my palate well initially with cherry, strawberry and pepper notes (pretty much in that order), but the tartness is bit too much and caused the muscles in my mouth to tighten up. That's weird, but I don't know how else to describe it. And there was no vanilla to be found.

As I drank the wine with dinner, it was a bit more pleasant - no more of the tightness. However, I let my son finish the bottle and I switched to the Shriaz that my hubby was drinking. He gave up on the Burgundy after the first sip.

Would I buy it again?? Uhhhh, no. But I'm glad I tried it.

I did mention in the last blog that there may be plenty to celebrate. I just found out that I am receiving a promotion which will take me to Arizona. It won't be for a bit, but I am so very excited at the opportunity. So next Thursday will likely include champagne or sparkling wine.

Until then...Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment