Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grapeables




I was in Phoenix for a few days on business, or more accurately in Fountain Hills.

During lunch, I walked across the street from the hotel to have a sandwich at a plaza. As I meandered through the plaza I found wine bar called Grapeables.

It was closed at the time, but I noticed a write-up from the local Phoenix paper posted in the window proclaiming this place to be a hot spot. What the heck, I thought. Maybe later after work, I'll give it a try.

Thank Goodness I did. Not only is the owner Dave wonderful and friendly, the atmosphere is tasteful and cozy, but the wine......Ahhh…....the wine.

I think I had the best red wine in the history of the world. Dave recommended it when I advised I'm looking for a good red. It was an Elyse 2006 C'est Si Bon Nagglar Vineyard. It's a California winery that produces a beautiful Rhone style wine that will knock your socks off. Smooth, silky, earthy, and smoky with kisses to your tongue that linger.

I asked about buying it from Total Wine, which is not possible. So, I got the information from the back label. www.elysewinery.com. I will positively buy this wine.

Dave knows the winemaker and explained how a smaller winery can do things a larger one cannot. For example, the wine owner/maker hires the same crew to hand pick the grapes, only accepting those that are healthy and unblemished. Whereas a larger winery uses a piece of machinery that literally shakes the grapes off the vine and all the other tidbits that may fall along with it.

Does that actually make a difference? Well when you taste this nectar of the Gods the only is answer is absolutely yes, it makes a difference.

I've only been here less than 24 hours and I already found my favorite place.

To quote Arnold....."I'll be back".

Until then....Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool spot to try wines that are not mass produced. If you ever come to town again, we will share some wine here. Bought a bottle of some Organic for my Uncle's 75th b-day party.

    ReplyDelete