Thursday, August 25, 2011

Better late than never....

Ok, so the plan was not to start blogging at 9pm. But thats the way it went today. Hundreds of other issues got in the way as they often do.
But, here I finally sit, enjoying my dinner of grilled chicken, fresh corn, grilled potato wedges (one day I will send out the recipe) and a salad. And of course, it is perfectly complimented by the Fabbioli Cab Franc.
Here's how it went down. I think I noted on a previous blog that some friends and I went to the Fabbioli winery. Well, when we first pulled up, it was apparent that the owners converted their garage into a tasting room - no judgement. I'm all about rooting for the Little Man. We don't need no corporate winery!!
At any rate, we walked in and were greeting by a friendly staff. One was even so kind as to give directions over the phone to one of my lost friends. Although later, she did became a bit of an olive oil nazi. Still, the tasting room was lovely with a nice atmosphere.
There was a beautiful wine rack made from the slats of a wine barrel. It was awesome, I wanted to buy it desperately, but good fiscal sense prevailed and I did not. Also, there was a train set glued to the ceiling - we loved it!! I asked if it was covered a hole as it was not only the train, but the whole set up on a big plywood section actually adhered to the ceiling. According to the staff, there is no hole, they just had to find someplace to put it and thats where it ended up.
When we were requested to pay our $10 tasting fee up front, I was a little put off. But again, I was trying not to be too judgmental. Finally, we strolled up to our tasting table and our tasting director was a middle aged man named Dennis. I hate to admit it, but I was totally judgmental. Here's what I saw. A middle aged man, bad teeth, mildly overweight, rather sloppily dressed. He had hole in the middle of his T-shirt!! (yes, it was a t-shirt) So, I again was a bit put off and thought, "This West Virginia hick surely has nothing to tell me about wine". Well, I was totally incorrect. Not only was Dennis funny, witty and had tons of fun facts about wine and the winemaker/owner of Fabbioli, he was from Buffalo!! Let me just say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a West Virginian. It's a beautiful state with beautiful people. But there is a stereotype. I didn't invent it, I just know it exists. It is what it is.
The one thing that was quite unique about this tasting, was the wine was paired with food - not an entire meal mind you, but little snacks to help compliment the wine. Once I tasted the sausage and mustard (they do sell mustard and olive oil there as well) I did not mind the $10 fee at all.
So now, move forward 2 weeks and were back to my house and the wine. The winery trip was in fact 2 weeks ago and now, after much delay we have finally opened the Cab Franc. I really enjoyed the bouquet. When I swirled the wine on my palate, I could definitely taste notes of berry, maybe a little smokey, slightly peppery or spicy, but softened nicely. My hubby wasn't too fond of it as usual. He said it was a bit metallic, referring to the taste as "tinny".
Truth be told, we drank it last night and I'm finishing off the bottle tonight with my dinner. This wine is great the next day. It really does better once it has sat for a bit. Last night after dinner, we let the wine open on the counter without corking it and enjoyed one more glass before going to bed. I have to say, this wine really opened up beautifully. Even the bouquet was different. It was almost like a perfume and the taste was just....softer. I loved it. Even my hubby said it was improved.
A couple of cool notes. I have a totally awesome quote from Dennis. As he was describing a bit about the history of wine making, he said "Man didn't settle down to grow corn or soybeans, he settled down to get drunk". Bahahah.
Another line for a chuckle. On the back label of the Cab Franc, it reads: Cinnamon, spice and everything nice? Give me a break. Who writes this junk on the back label? Medium bodied with characters of allspice, berry fruit, herbs and caramel, this Cabernet Franc could help define the Virginia Wine Industry.
Not only did it make me smile, but I would have to agree. When we first started frequenting Virginia wineries, I could barely drink the reds. The whites have always been decent, but the reds were...not good. But, Virginia has come a long way. It's no Napa Valley, but it's definitely got something promising going on.
On that happy note, I will polish off this lovely Cab Franc and call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment