Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Rose is a Rose







I find I’m being non-compliant with my original plan again. I posted that I wanted to focus on Virginia wines. Well, about that….the wine I purchased is not a Virginia wine. I’ve decided that my hubby and I along with a group of friends are going on a Loudoun County wine tour within the next few weeks, so I will blog on the Virginia wines then.
In the mean time, I did mention that I wanted to blog on a White or Rose. Well, I went to Total Wine today and they recommended 2 different Roses. I struggled between the 2, then decided to purchase both.
The reason I purchased both is because they are so different. The one to the left is a South African (As a side note, I think I may end up apologizing to South Africa for disparaging their ability to produce a nice wine) It was $11.99 an is called a Mulderbosch Cabernet Rose 2010. The wine notes indicate “crisp, refreshing, notes of grapefruit and hints of spice”. “The slightly dry, medium bodied palate shows pomegranate and berry fruit with a clean finish”. This sounds really nice. Also, note the beautiful Rose color.
The other bottle is French. It’s a Dom Fontanyl Rose de Provence 2009 for $12.99. The wine notes refer the Rose as “lively and fragrant with alluring aromas of ripe berries and dark flowers”. “Flavors of strawberries and wild cherry are presented in a sophisticated manner that preserves the fruit.”
I just have to take a moment to comment on wine notes. They crack me up. Are the fruit flavors really presented in a sophisticated manner?? Really??
I took the picture of both together, because I really liked the difference in appearance. The South African is a lovely Rose color, while the French is more of a pretty, soft golden color.
I haven’t decided which to blog on, I may get crazy and drink both. Nor am I sure what will be served with the Rose.
These days my retired hubby is my chef. But he is very receptive to what I request. I googled Rose to find out about food pairings and found it to be a very flexible wine that goes with most anything.
We’ve been trying to eat on the lighter side lately, so I think I will recommend turkey sandwiches on thick sliced whole grain bread with lettuce, and tomato served with a salad.
I think that sounds perfect with a Rose. Just so you know, Rose is to be served chilled. I will put them both in the fridge and look forward to whatever tomorrow brings.
**FYI - I tried to post this last night, but blogspot was having some sort of maintenance - so I created a document last and had to cut and paste this morning.
Until then…Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment