Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lots of stuff









I always go back and re-read prior blogs. I noted on the Maine blog that I was going to look up WST. Well, I googled it and found it's actually WSET. Wine and Spirit Education Trust. Evidently it's a formalized UK program with 5 levels of study for wine enthusiasts and professionals alike. Once completed, you are certified and can add a cool title to your name.

I don't see myself doing something like that at this time - Although I do admire those that do. The reason I started this blog, is because I'm a wine lover. I am an educated women with several degrees - 2 Associates and 1 Bachelors. I have enough credit hours to have a PhD, but in too many different subjects. I am licensed, cerfified and qualifed in my career, and wanted this wine blog to be my self taught education into wine. I write this blog like I speak to my family and friends. I've been told it's a little "all over the place". That may be, but this is not a term paper or thesis, nor is it a proposal or legal document. If it were, my writing style would be completely different. This is my wine blog for the everyday Joe, have a good time, silly blog - just in case anyone was wondering.

Moving on...about the Virginia wines. I noted that I plan on doing a Loudoun County winery tour with some friends. The thought was we could rent a limo and spend the afternoon hitting several wineries. It appears that schedules may not allow for that. Luckily, some of those same friends and I were able to visit a winery today. We chose to go to Fabbioli and actually had some lovely wines. I had never been to this winery before and look forward to blogging on one for Thursday. As a teaser..It's the Cab Franc. Typically, I am not a fan of Virginia Cab Francs, but this one was special. Hopefully the bottle I purchased will be good as the tasting. It seems that isn't always the case, but I'm very hopeful, as this was a very nice wine at the tasting.

I have to spend a few minutes on a wine I had last night. I took the bottle over to a friends for dinner. We were having brisket so I thought a red would go nicely and pulled one from my wine rack that I had recently purchased at Trader Joe's for less than $10.

It's an organic wine with no sulfites and is from Heartswork Winery in Woodbridge California. The name is Well Read, but the "a" is so small on the label it looks like the name is Well Red. On the label it indicates it to be a 2010 California Red Wine, so I knew it was a blend. I'm not sure of what, as no other descriptors were given.

Well, I'm sad to say, this is one of the very few that I've poured down the drain. The bouquet was reasonably pleasant, not very strong, mildly earthy, sort of a tart scent as well. But the taste.....vinegary. So, just to make sure, I took another sip...same thing. I told my hubby to try it. I thought maybe it was bad. He hated it and dumped his glass as well. I was totally disappointed. I feel bad when that happens. Thank Goodness it doesn't happen too often.

On that sad note, I'm off to do domestic chores.

Until Thursday..Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment