Friday, August 19, 2011


Ok, so here's the deal. Things aren't quite working out as planned. I wanted to blog on the Fabbioli Cab Franc. But...now I don't want to.

I actually bought the wine anticipating sharing it with my hubby, but he isn't available this evening, so I don't want to open it.

Instead, I'm blogging on a lovely 2009 Argentinian Malbec. It's from the Trapiche winery in Mendoza. According to the label, this wine is aged for 12 months in oak casks. The label also notes the grapes come from the foothills of the Andes Mountains, which is a huge mountain range that covers 7 different countries and peaks over 22,000 feet.

If you noticed the picture of the wine bottle, you'll see that it's a bit of a different angle. Normally, I take a "full bottle" picture. But this time, I had to improvise. You see, it's late..I'm somewhat lazy and watching TV in bed. I have the wine bottle with me, and took several pictures of it in different places (that didn't require that I actually got out of bed) such as the night stand, the foot of the bed, between my knees - but it all looked weird. Especially the shot between my knees. So, the picture you see is in fact on my knee - it's just a close up.

The wine itself is quite nice. Lots of flavor, smooth texture, lingering finish. Evidently a lingering finish is a positive thing and a sign of a good wine. I recently read, that once you've swallowed the wine, breath out through your nose to help enhance the flavor that is on your palate. I think, that unless you have a cold or stuffy nose, most people do that anyway.

This wine does have some dark fruit notes, maybe a little smokey. The label includes notes of vanilla as well. I don't know that came to mind when I first tried it, but after I read it and tried it, I would agree. That goes to show how susceptible I am to the power of suggestion.

Serving recommendations are cheese, mushrooms, red meats, stew and typical Argentinian "asado". I've never heard of "asado". According to Google it's an Argentinian barbecue. So, of course I had none of that and instead ate pasta.

So, all in all - a very nice wine. The only thing is I'm not sure of the cost. I pulled it from my wine rack as I didn't want to open the Cab Franc tonight. I looked it up online and it appears to sell for about $12.

For next week, the plan is the Cab Franc. We shall see.....


No comments:

Post a Comment