Thursday, August 11, 2011

A bit dry...

About the Rose. I tried both. I just had to compare and contrast. Not only were the colors different, but the tastes were quite different too. Both of these Rose wines were dry. Which can be the norm for Roses. Not only do the colors vary, but so do the tastes ranging from sweet, to semi-dry to bone-dry.
The South African Rose with the beautiful rose color was definitely dry, and tart with lots of citrus notes and a lingering finish. The pretty golden colored French Rose was less dry, and less tart, with some nice fruity notes and a clean finish.
I did not serve it with the meal I had intended. Instead, we tried with a cheese/meat/cracker platter prepared by my hubby (and Wegman's)
I believe that after today, I can safely say that Roses are not my favorite wine. I don't dislike them, they were both very nice wines in their own way, and these 2 were easy drinking wines. They just don't make me go ahhhhh.
However, I was somewhat curious about Roses. I wondered if they were from a particular grape or a blend. I did find out that the color of the Rose depends on the grape that is used to make it - which typically are either Pinot Noir, Syrah, Grenache, Merlot, Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo, Sangiovese or Zinfandel. The varietals can either be used solo or in a blend.
The color also depends on how long the grape skins were in contact with the juice and as the 2 wines I picked indicate - there can be a wide range of color.
There's lots of terms for a Rose wine - rosado, rosato, blush. I think I like the names better than the wines.
Moving on...For next week, I'm going to try to blog on a Virginia Wine. I must say that I've had quite a few Virginia wines, so I'm going to have to be careful of the one I pick.
Until then..Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment