Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm in love....





So, tonight my hubby and dear friend (DF) opened my Washington state bottle of Apex 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon from Columbia Valley.
It was waiting for me when I got home from work. My DF is supposed to be moving westward, but has had a few delays and stayed the last 2 nights at my house. She is expected to leave in the morning, so tonight we are celebrating life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and sharing this lovely bottle of wine.
I have to say, the label is completely boring. This one is by far the most unassuming, pay-no-attention-to-me label. I would like to reach out to the label creator and have a word. I would say "really???" "Could you be any more nondescript and lifeless". Luckily the wine has much more to say than the label.
When I purchased this wine, along with 2 others to celebrate my DF, I did not save the receipt. So, I had to look up the retail value as I couldn't even begin to remember. It seems $15.00 is about what you would pay. This is a good price and a great wine.
It is definitely a stand alone, it does not "crave food", but would pair nicely with a variety of dishes. My hubby served it with a baked chicken, grilled squash and edamame. It was wonderful. The wine is light enough that it would go with virtually anything.
I am in love with this wine for several reasons. First, it is nice and light. It states Cabernet Sauvignon on the label, but once tasted, it's lighter than you would expect. Upon further investigation, you will find it's actually a red table wine or blend because it does have 5% Malbec and 5% Petit Verdot.
That small percentage makes the wine complex, yet light. It does not have the heavy, in-your-face taste of a pure Cabernet. This is why I feel in love. It has the complexity, the name, the predominance of the Cabernet (testosterone), but then you realize this lovely lightness (sensitivity) and you have the perfect wine (man). Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment