Thursday, September 8, 2011

Washington State

Tonight we tried the Gordon Brothers 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon from Columbia Valley in Washington.
The wine is quite nice, even my hubby agreed.

The label describes black currant, rich berry flavors, chocolate and leather and moderate tannins. I would agree except for the chocolate. I would have described it as smokey. It does have a bit of a lingering peppery finish, but it's not overwhelming, just kind of floats around on the tongue. The label describes it as a "smooth, toasty, lingering finish". I liked the word "toasty" - it's a great word for this wine.

As usual we didn't pair it with the recommendations, which was intensely flavored meat and bone in steak with mushroom sauce. I can see how this wine would pair wonderfully with a steak. It would be quite grand actually.

All in all, a keeper for the wine rack. However, with a price tag of over $20, I do believe you could do just as well with a Simi, Jekel or even a Newman's Own.
It would thrill me if someone gave me this as a gift, and I would purchase it as a gift, but not likely to buy it again for a "must have" in my wine rack.

On a final note, from the time I uncorked the bottle until now has been about an hour, and I must say the wine opened up quite nicely. The bouquet is more intense, the taste smoothed out with the "toasty" finish softening to just a gentle lingering flavor.

On that happy note, I'm off to slumber. This day was long and rainy and gray and dreary.

This blog was boring, but the wine was good.

Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me, did you take wine notes on what we drank at Cheescake?
    Because that was a great Cab.
    Maybe blog about our farewell wine tasting with you, me, and DF (Dear Friend)?

    ReplyDelete