Thursday, September 29, 2011

Arena Valley Vineyard, Idaho


Hmm....Not bad.
I'm sampling the Snake River 2006 Merlot from Arena Valley Vineyard in my hotel room. I've already had dinner, so Im sipping it alone. It's quite nice. Lots of berry flavors, oaky, not too light, gentle tannins.

The label boasts of violets on the nose along with fresh berries...medium bodied with soft tannins. Yup, I agree, except for the violets. It's a descent wine. I'm not a Merlot fan, but I've found during this wine journey that a few are quite nice. This is one of them. It is a stand alone and would certainly compliment the typical red wine dishes as well.

I went to the website, and I have to say that I'm impressed. This winery offers 17 different wines, and from what I read most if not all the grapes come from this vineyard.

I found this wine by going to a beer/wine retailer in historic downtown Idaho Falls and inquired about local wine. I paid $18.00 for this Merlot, but on the Snake river website it retails for $14.00. I do think $18 is a bit much, but $14.00 is reasonable.

Does $4.00 really matter? Well, yes and no. $4.00 doesn't make me any richer or poorer, but it could potentially make a difference when I'm wine shopping. I don't know why, but it would.

This has been educational, I didn't think Idaho had wine, I briefly googled it before I arrived and did not find any wineries, but evidently there are a few. The helpful lady at the wine store told me of Chapelle, which is a popular Idaho wine that is sold at the local grocery stores. I actually found it at Walmart for $6.97 a bottle. I may try some before I leave, if I do - i will definitely blog on it.

The Vino Rosso place I mentioned in my prior blog is also in historic downtown. It's basically a restaurant. I am still intrigued and will hopefully go there for supper tomorrow.

I have never noticed an Idaho wine at any of the wine stores I shop at home. But if any of the other wines from the Arena Valley Vineyard are as good as this one, then maybe one day soon Idaho will it's place among notable wine producers.

You never know.

Until then, Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment