Saturday, October 1, 2011

About that Chapelle.....

I tried it. The maids who clean this room tomorrow are going to think I'm an alcoholic with the 2 wine bottles I've left behind, but I figured I likely would not have the chance again, so I better take advantage of the opportunity.

I went to Walmart and purchased a $6.97 bottle of 2008 Ste Chapelle Cabernet Sauvignon from the Snake River Valley. The back label indicated this winery has been producing since 1978 with grapes grown in high-altitude vineyards overlooking the famed Snake River in southern Idaho. The long daylight hours, warm summer days, crisp evenings and well drained volcanic ash soils are ideal for producing distinctive varietals.

Thats lovely and well written.

The wine is so so. It actually tastes a bit ashy and tart. It's not too bad, it's just a bit unusual with it's tart finish.

I googled Snake River and found that it sits within a 4 million year old lake and boasts 44 vineyards and 22 wineries. The Snake River Valley was quite renowned for it's wine prior to 1920, but prohibition shut the wineries down and they didn't perk up again until 1970.

Would I buy it again?? Probably not...But I'm glad I took the opportunity to try it. I'll put a cork it in and leave it for the hotel maids when I check out of here tomorrow. I hope they enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment