Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rumpas????

I thought Tres Ojos was a dumb name, but this one ranks right up there with dumb names as well.

My hubby and I celebrated our 26th anniversary last night at The Wine Kitchen. I must say that this restaurant is fabulous. It's small, intimate, great food, attentive staff.

We each ordered a wine flight of 3 wines each and shared them, but neither of us had fallen in love with any of the wines and didn't want to commit to an entire bottle of anything. Our server recommended a wine called Rumpas. He described it as a very nice, smooth, California blend. My hubby lamented that he didn't know why wineries were always trying to mess with blending something as perfectly nice as a cabernet. He's obviously a cabernet puritan. Whatever, that means more blends for me.

Back to the wine. It's a 2009 blend of Zinfandel, Syrah and Cab Franc. Rumpus is a Sonoma California wine. I forgot to take a picture of the bottle. It's quite plain actually. I thought I could easily find a picture online, but no luck.

I personally loved it. It's smooth, fun, flavorful, with lots of dark fruity notes. It's definitely a stand alone wine. It needed nothing..except for me.

The wine kitchen also sells wines by the bottle, so of course I wanted to buy one. But again, no luck - they were out. I was disappointed, but thought I should be able to find it at Total Wine, so I called them from the restaurant (they're on my speed dial). Still yet again, no luck.

I finally did find it online, but haven't ordered any yet. The Wine Kitchen charges $35 at the table and $25 if you buy it to go. Online, I found it for $16. I will absolutely buy some as this wine is just lovely.

So, except for not getting to take a bottle home and getting into a stupid fight with my hubby about him fertilizing the yard (are we the only couple who bickers over idiotic things?), it was all in all still a good night - at least for finding a wonderful new wine to add to my list of things I love.

For next time, I'm going to do some research on what is the most full bodied wine. It is a Cabernet or a Zinfandel? How do other wines compare such as a Shiraz or Chianti or Sangiovese? I have no idea!!

So turn in next Thursday and learn something new.

Until then....Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment