Thursday, October 27, 2011

Blue Teal

Before I get into the Blue Teal Rio Rojo (which means red river), I have to comment on the St Clair label that indicated New Mexico was America's oldest wine producing region.

Here's what I found out....Mexico is the oldest wine producing region in the Americas. So, since New Mexico was once part of Mexico, I guess it could sort of be an accurate statement.

I also mentioned the label for Blue Teal had a plethora of information. To elaborate, it goes on a bit about the Blue-winged Teal (pretty colored duck) that is commonly seen in New Mexico during migration. I lived in New Mexico for many years, but never saw one. Maybe I wasn't looking.

The label describes the wine as "very approachable with mild and well intergrated tannins...easy drinking, rich nose of red berry plums, and hints of freshly sawn wood". Hmmmm.....well, that could sort of be an accurate statement. At least parts of it. It is easy drinking. There's definitely notes of berry, but I'm not so sure about the wood. It's a bit like berry punch with a short sugary finish. The aftertaste almost reminded me of Equal or Splenda or some type of sugar substitute.

The wine is recommended to be served chilled - specifying between 42 and 46 degress. There is also a sweetness level indicated as well, and as you might guess this is definitely sweet. And the alcohol content is only 11%. This is a bit on the low side when compared to other reds (or even whites).

So, all in all. This would be a great wine for novice wine drinkers. Typically, those that are new to the beautiful world of wine prefer the sweeter wines. I myself was nothing but a Moscato drinker when I first started so I'm thinking this would be a great "starter" wine.

So, here's to all you new wine drinkers!!! Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment