Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hob Nobbing

I noted yesterday that I might try some bubbly. A bit of the bubbly would've been quite nice, but just wasn't in the cards for tonight.

Instead, my hubby and 2 wonderful friends met at local pub for a night cap after a wonderful dinner at Uncle Julio's. I had a 2009 HobNob Pinot Noir for $7.00/glass.

I looked up the wine online to check the retail price and it sales for about $13.00 a bottle. The HobNob website is pretty cool. Good music, lots of stuff to do and read. And it has a great way of providing info on the wines - to see what I'm referring to, go check out the website.

So, it turns out I had a french wine at an Irish Pub in Virginia - I LOVE IT!! I am so cultured.

I don't think I've had HobNob before. As I noted, it is a french wine from the Languedoc Roussillon region of France. Evidently, this is one of the oldest wine regions in France and is quite large with over 400,000 acres of primarily red wine producing vines. It's been referred to as France's "wine lake". I wanna go swim!!

The wine itself is pretty good. The winemakers notes on the website indicate violets with bursting cherry flavors. I thought it did have some cherry notes although I would not say bursting. It was a nice medium bodied wine as you would expect from a Pinot Noir with a relatively gentle finish. It's an easy drinking, stand alone wine. I had no food with it, but the website recommends food items such s prime rib or sausage.

I would buy it again. It's reasonably priced and has enough character and texture to be compared to a more expensive wine. That plus the fact that it's a hip looking french wine with a goofy name is just plain cool.

So, go hob nob and have a good time.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment