Saturday, October 15, 2011

MAGGIANO'S!!!!!


OMG!! We've lived here for years and have never been to Maggiano's Italian restaurant. In a word, it is MAGNIFICENT!!

Let me paint a picture. My daughter, son and I sat down (my hubby and Arizona friend were parking the car) our server Theo (shout out to Theo), asked if we would like some to drinks to start and what were we in the mood for. Here was the conversation.
"We want wine of course."
"Red or white?"
"Red!"
"Smooth or dry?"
"Definitely smooth."

Well, Theo read me like a book because he brought a bottle of 2008 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet. This South Australian wine was wonderful. It was not only smooth, but had lots of gentle currents, dark berry flavors and ended on lovely velvety finish. It was $34.00 a bottle at the restaurant, but I found it online for $12.00. I am going to either Total Wine or World Market tomorrow to buy some.

Another exceptional moment was when the Chef actually came to our table and brought a special appetizer. I'm not sure what it was - some sort of zucchini tempura style. It was excellent.

I enjoyed watching my son drink the Penfolds with his lobster pasta dish. His eyes actually rolled up in the back of his head. Culinary nirvana at it's finest..

We ended up polishing off 2 more bottles of wine beyond the Penfolds. Although nice, neither compared in my mind. One was a Louis Martini Cabernet the other a Cellar number 8. I don't remember much about them beyond that. They were good, but the Penfolds stole my heart.

I have to say, our server Theo was awesome. He was a cute little New York Italian - all of about 5'4". I adored him. He was attentive and obviously made some awesome recommendations - not only with the wine, but with our entrees as well.

My hubby and Arizona friend weren't very easy on Theo. I say this with love. These 2 men are both well educated, articulate, and successful. But they are also knuckle dragging neanderthal, testosteroney, gun toting, alpha males. Theo didn't stand a chance, but he was such a good sport. My hubby made up for it with a big tip.

The picture above depicts my daughter and I enjoying this marvelous wine at this fabulous restaurant surrounded by 3 men that we both love dearly.

Life doesn't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment