Wednesday, October 26, 2011

New Mexico prelude to a blog.

So, due to reasons beyond my control. I find myself in New Mexico for a few days. This is not an unfamiliar place and I am happy to be here. Actually, I used to live here many moons ago and still come back once or twice a year.

I've noticed something about wineries. Except for California, it seems that vinyards and wineries used to be somewhat of a rarity. But now New Mexico, like so many other states boasts several wineries.

I have a bottle of a New Mexican green chile wine that is held in the mouth of my Theodore Roosevelt wine holder showcased in my wine room at home. Yes, I said wine room. My wine hobby has become so large, that I have devoted an entire room to it. Not quite the wine cellar I dream of, but the next best thing I suppose. Anyway, the green chile wine is a novelty and I will likely never open it. In part, because it looks so cool in the Teddy wine holder and it's a great conversation piece. Beyond that, I don't believe I have purchased any other New Mexico wines. But today, I was lucky enough to purchase 3 bottles from local wineries and will blog on at least one this Thursday.

Now for a bit of info on each. The first bottle on the left is a Rio Rojo from Blue Teal vinyards in Deming New Mexico. According to the label it's a red table wine, so we know it's a blend. I went to the website to try to find out what the blend was, but wasn't able to find out any more info than what's on the back label, which actually has a plethora of information about pretty much everything else such as vinyard name, wine notes, sweetness level, serving temperature, etc.

The next bottle is Voluptuous Sweet Temptation from Southwest Wines which is also in Deming. I love the back label, it reads: "Sweet Temptations is strikingly sweet with the robust flavors of juicy, plump raspberries stacked with tart cherries and sweet strawberries. Its ample sweetness will tempt you into a wild night out with your girlfriends or a cozy evening at home after a long day of being fabulous". Ha! That's too awesome.

The final bottle is from St Clair winery which is also in Deming. Hmmm....Evidently Deming is the wine mecca of New Mexico. Anyway, this is a rather sophisticated looking Riesling. The back label claims New Mexico is America's oldest wine producing region. Wow, that bears further research and sounds completely incorrect. But, being the open-minded individual I am, I will reserve judgement for later.

So, one two or maybe all of these New Mexico beauties will be the topic of my Thursday night.

Until then...Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment